Siblings March Sign-Up
Classes for Youth, Teens, and Adults
Winter 2019 (15 weeks of instruction)
- January 3: Registration Due
- January 7-10: Y-Dance Show Costume Measuring, Sizing, Payment/Dancewear Ordering
- January 14-May 2: Instructional Classes
- March 25-28: Spring Break/No Classes
- April 27: Show Photo Session
- May 3 & 4: Y-Dance Dress Rehearsal and Shows (See Information Below)
|SNAP (Superstars)||Ages 5 and Older|
|Fusion||Pre-K (age 4) through Adult||Offered by Divisions and Levels**|
|Leaps and Turns*||Grades 3 through 12||Offered by Divisions and Levels|
|Ballet||Grades 1 through 12||Offered by Levels|
|Hip Hop||Grades 3 through Adult||Offered by Divisions|
|Tap||Grades K through 12||Offered by Levels|
*To enroll in a Leaps and Turns class, a Fusion and/or Ballet class is prerequisite. This allows for the fundamentals to be learned in conjunction with leaps and turns.
**Enrollment in a Level 4 Fusion Class requires enrollment in Leaps/Turns and Ballet as well.
- Divisions signify grade/maturity.
- Levels allow for abilities.
- For most classes, minimum enrollment is four students.
- Some classes may cap enrollment based on teacher and room space.
- All classes are held at the YWCA, 605 N. 6th Street, Lafayette.
- Registration is due by January 3 at 6:00 PM. Call 765-742-0075.
- Costumes are ordered after measuring week, thus making late enrollments nearly impossible.
- Returning dancers from the Fall 2018 sessions may register beginning December 3rd.
- General Public may register beginning December 10th.
- There is an annual $25 Registration Fee. Registration forms are due only annually with renewal of fee.
- A Registration form MUST be on file or filled out at the time of enrollment
- Returning Y-Dancers stay in the same class as fall session, unless communicated to you otherwise.
- We recommend Level 1 for dancers new to the Y-Dance program.
**For additional details, please visit the Y-Dance Show and Costume Measuring Week tab
- Our Y-Dance Show (recital) will be held Saturday, May 4 at 1:00 and 6:00 PM.
- Dress Rehearsal will be held Friday, May 3.
- We measure for costumes during your class day and time January 7-10. There is no charge for this class.
- A show packet with ALL important information is published online after spring break.
- Pictures will be taken Saturday, April 27. Times TBD by class.
The Y-Dance program undergoes changes as the numbers, needs, and desires of its dancers continue to grow, evident by our dance classes, the new ballet directive, and our dance company; Dance Distinction. Whether the goal is to dance at a recreational level “just for fun”, or for those who foresee themselves on competitive dance teams, on Dance Distinction Dance Company, in musical theatre, undertaking auditions, or who want to take dance to a higher level, Y-Dance has something for everyone.
Our philosophy is:
- To provide an atmosphere of discipline and structure
- To make each dancer feel loved, valued, and empowered
- To be a fun, enjoyable, and learning experience
- To enhance dancers’ coordination, dance, creativity, technique and memory skills
If you have other questions that are not answered in the below tabs, please phone the YWCA at 742-0075.
- Class Description
- Class Schedule & Observation Days
- Tuition, Discounts, & Payment Plan
- Dress Policy
- Show and Costume Measuring Week
Divisions (Determined by grade)
See each dance genre for specific divisions.
Levels (Determined by abilities)
- Level 1 – For new and returning students. Objectives: to introduce body awareness, control, and turn out (fusion);
development of age-appropriate technical skills; development of comprehension in instruction; development of
memorization in learning combinations and routines.
- Level 1+-For returning students who have advanced past Level 1, but are not quite ready for Level 2.
- Level 2 – For returning students by teacher recommendation. Objectives: understanding of body awareness, control, and
turn out (fusion); mastery of Level 1, with additional age-appropriate, technical skills; efficient comprehension in
instruction; efficient in memorization of combinations and routines; greater efficiency in memorization; and development
of stage presence and presentation skills.
- Level 3 – For returning students by teacher invitation. Objectives: mastery of Level 1 and 2 skills; understanding and
introduction to more difficult technical skills. Quick comprehension in instruction and in memorization of combinations
and routines. Further development of stage presence and presentation skills.
- Level 4 -6 – For returning students by teacher invitations. Objectives: Mastery of all technical skills, comprehension,
and stage presence. For Level 4 Fusion Dancers, Ballet and Leaps/Turns Classes are also required.
Superstars -SNAP Dance (Special Needs Activities Program)
SNAP Dance Class was created for children, adolescents, and adults with special needs. This fun and energetic 45 minute class consists of basic movement skills, rhythm exercises, and creative and interpretive movement using music and props. SNAP dance class benefits dancers by enhancing his/her social skills, focus, listening skills, body awareness,
and proprioception. The class is for ages 5 and older with one “buddy” for every one, two, or three dancers at the most. The class size will be limited to 12 dancers per class. Proper dance apparel is required. Please be aware when considering if this program is a good fit for your dancer that the dance studio environment will be one with occasional loud noises, bright colors, and a variety of stimuli. A routine will be taught for the May 4th Y-Dance show.
Pre-Fusion (For Dancers Age 3)
Our 45 minute Pre-Fusion Class for 3-year-olds is designed to prepare students to learn as 4 year olds. The curriculum is structured to encourage locomotor and non-locomotor movement, body awareness, coordination, creative/interpretive movement, and listening skills. These goals will be achieved through stories, songs, minimal props, and repetition at a comfortable pace. A routine will be taught for the May 4th Y-Dance show.
Fusion Pre-K (For Dancers Age 4 to Kindergarten)
Our one hour Pre-K Classes teach movement and motor skills, basic ballet technique, rhythm and coordination skills, and creative movement. Age-appropriate music and props are utilized to make these delightfully fun classes. A routine will be taught for the May 4th Y-Dance show.
Fusion (For Dancers in Kindergarten through Adult)
Our one hour Fusion Classes (ballet and jazz “fused” together) are the core of Y-Dance and the recommendation if an overall experience is desired. Within this class, fundamentals of ballet and jazz are learned. They are divided by Divisions and by Levels (1, 1+, 2, 3, 4). Levels are determined by Y-Dance Teachers. These classes focus on barre/ballet skills and center floor technique (leaps and turns). A routine will be taught for the May 4th Y-Dance show.
Ballet (For Dancers in Grades 1 through Adult)
Our one hour Ballet classes are intended to enhance our core Fusion Classes. Ballet is the foundation for many genres of dance (as well as leaps and turns) AND helps strengthen muscles, improves body control, teaches dancers fluidity of movement, and focuses on turn-out. Ballet provides the mental and body discipline as well as the muscle memory to
create better dancers. The class is comprised of barre, center floor technique training. A routine will be taught for the May 4th Y-Dance show. Our Ballet classes are separated by Levels only (1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6). They do not necessarily reflect the same level as Fusion or Leaps and Turns. This class is required for any dancer in Fusion Level 4.
Leaps and Turns (For Dancers in Grades 1 through 12)
(Enrollment in a Fusion OR Ballet Class is required before enrolling in Leaps and Turns)
Our one hour Leaps and Turns classes are an enrichment of our core Fusion and Ballet Classes and are offered to dancers who want to focus and excel beyond a “recreational level”. This is strictly a technique class to learn and improve leaps and turns; thus fusion or ballet is necessary to focus on the fundamentals of turn-out, core, lift, etc. No routines will be taught. Our Leaps and Turns classes are separated by Divisions and Levels. This class is required for any dancer in Fusion Level 4.
Tap (For Dancers in Kindergarten through 12)
Our 45 minute Tap class focuses on tap technique and rhythm. These classes are divided by Levels, while still keeping
age and maturity in mind. Levels are determined by the Y-Dance teacher. A routine will be taught for the May 4th Y-Dance show.
Hip Hop (For Dancers in Grades 3 through Adult)
This one hour class focuses on hip hop choreography and various Hip Hop techniques. Students will be taught rhythm
and how to apply it to their dancing. A routine will be taught for the May 4th Y-Dance show. Hip Hop is divided by Divisions.
- Registration is due by September 5.
- There is a $25 annual registration fee for each dancer.
- A Registration Form must be completed for only those NEW to Y-Dance.
- The Registration Form must be filled out at the front desk of the YWCA when enrolling your dancer as signatures are needed.
- Returning dance students need NOT complete a registration form.
- If a cancellation is requested, the registration fee and 25% of the class cost is nonrefundable.
1-Hour Classes (15 weeks) $180
Fusion, Ballet, Leaps/ &Turns, Hip Hop
45 Minute Classes (15 weeks) $135
Pre-Fusion, Tap, Superstars -SNAP Dance
The Fusion Experience (15 weeks) $450
To encourage dancers who want to focus on dance and excel beyond the recreational level we offer the following if the same dancer enrolls in all three of the following hour classes:
o Fusion Class
o Leaps and Turns Class
o Ballet Technique Class
As The Fusion Experience is already discounted, other discounts do not apply. Options are listed on the class schedule.
- There is a 15% discount for dancers enrolled in more than one class, (with the exception of The Fusion Experience which is already discounted).
- This same 15% discount also allows for multiple children living in the same household taking Y-Dance.
A payment plan has been put into place to allow families to participate in Y-Dance without the financial strain it may cause to pay in full for all desired classes at once. For those who desire to take advantage of our payment plan, we require all payments after initial payment are required to be set up on autopay by debit or credit card. The auto pay will be processed on the 4th of each month.
Dance classes may be cancelled due to inclement weather. No refunds will be given for classes cancelled due to conditions out of our control, but Y-Dance will always try to schedule a make-up classes. Many times the roads are cleared off by mid-afternoon, Y-Dance classes will always TRY to be held even though schools may be closed. Please check the following for Y-Dance cancellations: Your Email, YWCA Website, or YWCA Y-Dance Facebook.
The YWCA reserves the right to cancel classes or programs due to insufficient enrollment. You will be notified of a cancellation and receive a full refund or credit voucher, when applicable, of paid fees. Refunds will not be given for classes dropped by participant/guardian once spot is reserved. Any person on a payment plan will still be required to complete all payments.
Y-Dance implements a dress policy to better aide our dancers in proper posture, center, turn out, technique, leg and foot placement, etc.
For your convenience we carry black dance shorts, skin-colored tights, and required canvas Twyla shoes.
Sample sizes for these items are available to try on during the costume measuring week; January 7-10
Orders are placed and payment is needed AT THAT TIME.
Make checks payable to Hannah Walters. Costs are wholesale plus shipping.
Pre Fusion (Age 3) and Fusion Pre-K (Age 4 to Kindergarten)
- A leotard/skirt combination that comes attached (can be found at Target or Wal-Mart)
- Ballet shoes with elastic over the top (may be purchased at Payless Shoes, Enchanted Pointe, or http://www.discountdance.com
- Tights (optional)
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Fusion (Kindergarten through Adult), Ballet, SNAP Dance, Leaps and Turns
- Form-fitting cami top for girls and form-fitting tank for boys. (no athletic T’s)
- Black dance shorts for girls (may be ordered through Y-Dance)
- Longer shorts for boys
- Adults may wear black jazz capris, black jazz pants, or black yoga pants
- Optional tights to match skin tone (may be ordered through Y-Dance)
- Canvas Twyla shoes (may be ordered through Y-Dance)
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Hip Hop (Grade 3 through Adult)
- T-shirt or long-sleeved shirt
- Any pants (IE sweats, nylon, jeans, baseball pants, etc.)
- Any type of gym shoe (lightweight/low-topped recommended)
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Tap (Kindergarten through Grade 8)
- Same as Fusion
- Tap shoes
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Y-DANCE COSTUME MEASURING WEEK
- January 7-10 is the week for measuring and size selection for Y-Dance Show costumes. There are no instructional dance classes, nor are you charged for this week! J
- Come on the regularly scheduled day and time of your class. (Leaps and Turns need not come this week as there are no show routines for these technical classes.)
- A parent or an adult representative is required to be in attendance that day to help select desired size and to make payment for the costume. Please make checks payable to Hannah Walters.
- Payment needs to be made at the time you are measured for your costume as we will begin ordering them January 10. Late orders cost extra and cannot be guaranteed shipment in time for the show.
- The routine song will be played and a picture of your costume will be viewed the following week in dance class.
- Much research is done to find age-appropriate costumes and we try our best keep the cost under $60.
- Costume prices are wholesale cost plus shipping.
- You may want to bring something to work on should you have to wait for a short period of time.
- Connie Barter and Stacie Gascho are our costume specialists, helping to keep on top of all our orders. Each year, because of our growth, we continue to streamline this process to make it easy for our Y-Dance families.
- Rehearsal dancewear will be available for sizing at this same time. You may make one check for both your class needs and your costume.
- If you have multiple children dancing or your child is in multiple classes, you only need to come one time that week. Make sure to tell our staff so they can accommodate your family accordingly.
Y-DANCE PICTURE INFORMATION
- Pictures are scheduled by class for Saturday, April 27.
- It is always a treasure to have a photo of the class and your dancer in costume!
- Specific times and more information will be given in your recital packets after spring break.
Y-DANCE DRESS REHEARSAL INFORMATION
- Our dress rehearsal will be held Friday May 3, at the Long Center for the Performing Arts.
- The purpose of the dress rehearsal is to allow the dancer a “trial run” of everything before the actual performance. This is an opportunity for the dancer to get the feel of the stage, learn where to enter and exit, experience new spatial relationships, look up into the overwhelming number of seats, and get the “jitters” out as much as possible. It is also a time to set lighting as well as evaluate costuming, makeup, hair, etc.
- Hours are spent in scheduling to have our younger dancers rehearse first and to allow them to leave at an earlier time. However, many of our dancers are now in multiple classes therefore this has become very complex. Time must be given to also allow for their costume changes. Thank you for understanding.
- More information will be given in your recital packets after spring break.
Y-DANCE SHOW (RECITAL) INFORMATION
- Our Y-Dance Show will be held Saturday, May 4, at the Long Center for the Performing Arts.
- Because of the popularity of this remarkable event, we host two shows; 1:00 and 6:00 PM.
- Complete and informative show packets will be given after spring break for further information.
- Most recital songs will be edited to give dancers maximum amount of performance time with realistic memorization goals. We will email you the music after Y-Dance begins for home rehearsal.
- We highly recommend videotaping the recital routine from the back of the room (the angle the dancers learn) on observation days. Again, this will help in home rehearsal.
- We need many volunteers to help staff the show and welcome your help!
- Because of their success, show T-shirts will be available to purchase again this year. What a great gift to give your special dancer after the show! J
- Also, the McCutcheon Dance Boosters will once again be selling beautiful flowers the day/evening for both shows. This was very convenient for parents on a very busy day.