Classes for Youth, Teens, and Adults
Fall 2021 Information
Safe Studio Procedures
- Masks: Everyone must wear a mask or facial covering to enter the building and when in common areas. Teachers will continue to wear masks during class, while dancers will be not be required once in their designated area.
- Hand sanitizer: Everyone coming into and going out of the studio should use hand sanitizer. Consider reapplying once or twice during class, perhaps at the end of barre work.
- Social distancing: Class sizes have been reduced and each studio has been carefully designed for student placement to be 6 feet apart when practicing at the barre or in center floor work.
- Disinfect all surfaces: We will be sanitizing ballet barres, doorknobs and all surfaces dancers and teachers may touch before and after all classes.
- Self Monitoring: Please do not come to the studio if you, or a member of your household, have a fever or respiratory symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Common areas: Please come ready to dance! Attire and attitude should be ready when you enter the buildings. Bathrooms will be reserved for emergencies.
*Subject to change with ongoing conditions
|Superstars||Ages 5 and Older|
|Fusion||Pre-K (age 4) through Adult||Offered by Divisions and Levels**|
|Leaps and Turns*||Grades 3 through 12||Offered by Divisions and Levels|
|Ballet||Grades 1 through 12||Offered by Levels|
|Hip Hop||Grades 1 through 12||Offered by Divisions|
|Tap||Grades K through 12||Offered by Levels|
*To enroll in a Leaps and Turns class, a Fusion and/or Ballet class is prerequisite or a pre-assessment by Ms. Christiansen. This allows for the fundamentals to be learned in conjunction with leaps and turns.
- Divisions signify grade/maturity.
- Levels allow for abilities.
- For most classes, minimum enrollment is four students.
- Some classes may cap enrollment based on teacher and room space.
- All classes are held at the YWCA, 605 N. 6th Street, Lafayette.
- Registration is due by September 8. Register online
- Returning dancers from the Winter 2021 and Summer 2021 sessions may register beginning August 9.
- All class recommendations for returning dancers are available upon request. Email Ms. Christiansen, email@example.com
- General Public may register beginning August 9.
- We recommend Level 1 for dancers new to the Y-Dance Program.
- There is an annual $25 Registration Fee.
**This is an optional performances for our Y-Dancers, but highly encouraged!
- The Bridge Lighting performance will be held October 1 @ 6:00 PM. Participation and details are TBD.
- The costume for both performances will be the Y-Dance T-shirt and black shorts or black pants/sweat pants
- T-shirts will be available to purchase.
As we navigate into our new semester, we are still trying to figure out how to best serve our parents and dancers. Stay tuned for how we will be providing virtual parent observations and our end of the year showcase.
The Y-Dance program undergoes changes as the numbers, needs, and desires of its dancers continue to grow, evident by our dance classes, the new ballet directive, and our dance company; Dance Distinction. Whether the goal is to dance at a recreational level “just for fun”, or for those who foresee themselves on competitive dance teams, on Dance Distinction Dance Company, in musical theatre, undertaking auditions, or who want to take dance to a higher level, Y-Dance has something for everyone.
Our philosophy is:
- To provide an atmosphere of discipline and structure
- To make each dancer feel loved, valued, and empowered
- To be a fun, enjoyable, and learning experience
- To enhance dancers’ coordination, dance, creativity, technique and memory skills
If you have other questions that are not answered in the below tabs, please phone the YWCA at 742-0075.
Divisions (Determined by grade)
See each dance genre for specific divisions.
Levels (Determined by abilities)
- Level 1 – For new and returning students. Objectives: to introduce body awareness, control, and turn out (fusion);
development of age-appropriate technical skills; development of comprehension in instruction; development of
memorization in learning combinations and routines.
- Level 1+-For returning students who have advanced past Level 1, but are not quite ready for Level 2.
- Level 2 – For returning students by teacher recommendation. Objectives: understanding of body awareness, control, and
turn out (fusion); mastery of Level 1, with additional age-appropriate, technical skills; efficient comprehension in
instruction; efficient in memorization of combinations and routines; greater efficiency in memorization; and development
of stage presence and presentation skills.
- Level 3 – For returning students by teacher invitation. Objectives: mastery of Level 1 and 2 skills; understanding and
introduction to more difficult technical skills. Quick comprehension in instruction and in memorization of combinations
and routines. Further development of stage presence and presentation skills.
- Level 4 -6 – For returning students by teacher invitations. Objectives: Mastery of all technical skills, comprehension,
and stage presence.
Superstars dance class was created for children, adolescents, and adults with special needs. This fun and energetic 45 minute class consists of basic movement skills, rhythm exercises, and creative and interpretive movement using music and props. SNAP dance class benefits dancers by enhancing his/her social skills, focus, listening skills, body awareness, and proprioception. The class is for ages 5 and older . The class size will be limited to 12 dancers per class. Proper dance apparel is required. Please be aware when considering if this program is a good fit for your dancer that the dance studio environment will be one with occasional loud noises, bright colors, and a variety of stimuli. A short combination will be taught for the Bridge Lighting performance.
Pre-Fusion (For Dancers Age 3)
Our 45 minute Pre-Fusion Class for 3 year olds is designed to prepare students to learn as 4 year olds. The curriculum is structured to encourage locomotor and non-locomotor movement, body awareness, coordination, creative/interpretive movement, and listening skills. These goals will be achieved through stories, songs, minimal props, and repetition at a comfortable pace. A short combination will be taught for the Bridge Lighting performance.
Fusion Pre-K (For Dancers Age 4 to Kindergarten)
Our one hour Pre-K Classes teach movement and motor skills, basic ballet technique, rhythm and coordination skills, and creative movement. Age-appropriate music and props are utilized to make these delightfully fun classes. A short combination will be taught for the Bridge Lighting performance.
Fusion (For Dancers in Kindergarten through Adult)
Our one hour Fusion Classes (ballet and jazz “fused” together) are the core of Y-Dance and the recommendation if an overall experience is desired. Within this class, fundamentals of ballet and jazz are learned. They are divided by Divisions and by Levels (1, 1+, 2, 3, 4). Levels are determined by Y-Dance Teachers. These classes focus on barre/ballet skills and center floor technique (leaps and turns). A short combination will be taught for the Bridge Lighting performance.
Ballet (For Dancers in Grades 1 through 12)
Our one hour Ballet classes are intended to enhance our core Fusion Classes. Ballet is the foundation for many genres of dance (as well as leaps and turns) AND helps strengthen muscles, improves body control, teaches dancers fluidity of movement, and focuses on turn-out. Ballet provides the mental and body discipline as well as the muscle memory to create better dancers. The class is comprised of barre, center floor technique training. Our Ballet classes are separated by Levels only (1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6). They do not necessarily reflect the same level as Fusion or Leaps and Turns. A short combination will be taught for the Bridge Lighting performance.
Leaps and Turns (For Dancers in Grades 1 through 12)
(Enrollment in a Fusion OR Ballet Class OR pre-assessment done by Mrs. Christiansen is required before enrolling in Leaps and Turns)
Our one hour Leaps and Turns classes are an enrichment of our core Fusion and Ballet Classes and are offered to dancers who want to focus and excel beyond a “recreational level”. This is strictly a technique class to learn and improve leaps and turns; thus fusion or ballet is necessary to focus on the fundamentals of turn-out, core, lift, etc. No routines will be taught. Our Leaps and Turns classes are separated by Divisions and Levels. This class is required for any dancer in Fusion Level 4.
Tap (For Dancers in Kindergarten through Adult)
Our 45 minute Tap class focuses on tap technique and rhythm. These classes are divided by Levels, while still keeping age and maturity in mind. Levels are determined by the Y-Dance teacher. A short combination will be taught for the Bridge Lighting performance.
Hip Hop (For Dancers in Grades 1 through 12)
This one hour class focuses on hip hop choreography and various Hip Hop techniques. Students will be taught rhythm and how to apply it to their dancing. A short combination will be taught for the Bridge Lighting performance. Hip Hop is divided by Divisions.
- Registration is due by September 8.
- There is a $25 annual registration fee for each dancer.
- If a cancellation is requested, the registration fee and 25% of the class cost is nonrefundable.
1-Hour Classes (12 weeks) $150
Fusion, Ballet, Leaps/ &Turns, Hip Hop
45 Minute Classes (14 weeks) $118
Pre-Fusion, Tap, Superstars -SNAP Dance
The Fusion Experience (14 weeks) $366
To encourage dancers who want to focus on dance and excel beyond the recreational level we offer the following if the same dancer enrolls in all three of the following hour classes:
o Fusion Class
o Leaps and Turns Class
o Ballet Technique Class
As The Fusion Experience is already discounted, other discounts do not apply. Options are listed on the class schedule.
- There is a 15% discount for dancers enrolled in more than one class, (with the exception of The Fusion Experience which is already discounted).
- There is a $20 discount for multiple children living in the same household taking Y-Dance.
A payment plan has been put into place to allow families to participate in Y-Dance without the financial strain it may cause to pay in full for all desired classes at once. For those who desire to take advantage of our payment plan, we require all payments after initial payment are required to be set up on autopay by debit or credit card. The auto pay will be processed on the 4th of each month.
Dance classes may be cancelled due to inclement weather. No refunds will be given for classes cancelled due to conditions out of our control, but Y-Dance will always try to schedule a make-up classes. Many times the roads are cleared off by mid-afternoon, Y-Dance classes will always TRY to be held even though schools may be closed. Please check the following for Y-Dance cancellations: Your Email, YWCA Website, or YWCA Y-Dance Facebook.
The YWCA reserves the right to cancel classes or programs due to insufficient enrollment. You will be notified of a cancellation and receive a full refund or credit voucher, when applicable, of paid fees. Refunds will not be given for classes dropped by participant/guardian once spot is reserved. Any person on a payment plan will still be required to complete all payments.
Y-Dance implements a dress policy to better aide our dancers in proper posture, center, turn out, technique, leg and foot placement, etc.
For your convenience we carry black dance shorts, skin-colored tights, and required canvas Twyla shoes.
Sample sizes for these items are available to try on during the first week of class and during our open house.
Orders are placed and payment is needed AT THAT TIME.
Make checks payable to YWCA. Costs are wholesale plus shipping.
Pre Fusion (Age 3) and Fusion Pre-K (Age 4 to Kindergarten)
- A leotard/skirt combination that comes attached (can be found at Target or Wal-Mart)
- Form-fitting tank for boys (no athletic T’s) and comfortable activewear shorts for boys
- Ballet shoes with elastic over the top (may be purchased at Target or Walmart)
- Tights (optional)
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Fusion (Kindergarten through Adult), Ballet, Superstars, Leaps and Turns
- Form-fitting cami top for girls and form-fitting tank for boys. (no athletic T’s)
- Black dance shorts for girls (may be ordered through Y-Dance)
- Longer shorts for boys
- Adults may wear black jazz capris, black jazz pants, or black yoga pants
- Optional tights to match skin tone (may be ordered through Y-Dance)
- Canvas Twyla shoes (may be ordered through Y-Dance)
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Hip Hop (Grade 3 through 12)
- T-shirt or long-sleeved shirt
- Any pants (IE sweats, leggings, baseball pants, etc.)
- Any type of gym shoe (lightweight/low-topped recommended)
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Tap (Grades 1 through Adult)
- Same as Fusion
- Tap shoes
- Hair securely pulled back out of face
Y-Dance Director, Hannah Christiansen is a YPAD certified instructor. YPAD courses educate dance studios and communities worldwide on the core elements in constructing an environment focused on the well-being of kids and a sustainable, safe future for dance.
This activity is made possible in part by the Indiana Arts Commission, which receives support from the State of Indiana and the National Endowment for the Arts.