Women’s Cancer Program
We work everyday to eliminate inequities in healthcare when it comes to access to vital early detection screenings. To do this, we promote early screening for breast and cervical cancers among uninsured, under-insured and minority women. Through our funding partners, we facilitate no-cost services to women across Indiana.
The Women’s Cancer Program serves women across 41 Indiana counties: Benton, Boone, Carroll, Cass, Clay, Clinton, Decatur, Delaware, Fayette, Fountain, Franklin, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Henry, Howard, Jasper, Johnson, Madison, Marion, Miami, Montgomery, Morgan, Newton, Owen, Parke, Pulaski, Putnam, Randolph, Rush, Shelby, Sullivan, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Union, Vermillion, Vigo, Warren, Wayne and White.
If you live in any of the above counties and are struggling to afford or gain access to adequate preventive care, we can help. Call us today at 765-742-4375 to speak with an intake specialist in order to see if you qualify.
Breast Cancer: The Facts
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in American women.
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Mammography is the single most effective way to detect breast cancer at its earliest stage, when it is easiest to treat.
- Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) is the most aggressive form of breast cancer and can be mistaken for breast infection.
Cervical Cancer: The Facts
- Nearly all cervical cancer deaths can be prevented through early detection and appropriate treatment.
- The Pap test is an effective way to detect abnormal changes in the cervix.
- Cervical cancer deaths have decreased by 75% with the use of the Pap test.
- The HPV vaccine helps guard against human papilloma virus, a virus which increases risk for cervical and five other types of cancers.
Women’s Cancer Program staff conduct outreach throughout the year to educate the community on the importance of early detection for breast and cervical cancers. We can provide educational presentations for your school, sorority, church or other women’s organization. Call 765-742-4375 for more information, or to schedule a presentation.
Early detection is key when it comes to effective treatment. Our clients have access to a variety of preventive care and early detection screenings, at no cost to them, including:
- Breast Ultrasounds
- Pap Tests
- Pelvic Exams
Our staff assist women every day who are dealing with the results of an abnormal preventative screening. If your preventative screening comes back abnormal, we will help you receive the diagnostic procedures you need. Biopsies, colposcopies and LEEPs are available at no cost to you. We can even assist with getting you to your appointments, and helping you understand what’s happening so you can make the most informed decisions about your medical care.
Receiving a positive diagnosis for breast or cervical cancer can be scary. We are here for you from screeing, through early detection, all the way through diagnosis and treatment. Treatment can seem daunting, because of this our staff are here to support you the entire time. Upon receiving a positive diagnosis, clients have access to a Patient Navigator who will assist you in making empowered choices for your healthcare. Patient navigators assist with:
- Appointment coordination:
- Transportation assistance:
- Referrals to other community service organizations
New and gently used prosthesis and bras are available to any breast cancer patient, whether or not she was diagnosed through the women’s cancer program.
If you have lymphedema from a breast cancer surgery, we can assist with acquiring lymphedema products.
YWCA Greater Lafayette’s Women’s Cancer Program is made possible through the following funding sources: