A letter from the director…
What can an organization accomplish in a single year? As 2018 and my first six months as your executive director come to a close, I stand amazed at the work we’ve accomplished together.
- This past year alone, YWCA Greater Lafayette provided 8,205 nights of safe shelter to 405 victims of domestic violence and their children. We were actively involved in securing 576 protective orders, 76% of all filed in Tippecanoe County. And we fielded more than 6,339 calls to our emergency hotline – that’s an average of 17 calls per day!
- From just a little over $7,000 in seed money from a United Way Venture Grant in 1994, our Women’s Cancer Program has grown to serve thousands. This year, based on their confidence in our work, the Indiana State Department of Health, increased our service area from 23 counties to 41! That means more than 3,000 breast and cervical screening services were delivered to women who were uninsured, under-insured or couldn’t meet their deductibles.
- Our youth programs, including Performance Point Volleyball and Y-Dance taught skill and technique, but also instilled self-worth and confidence in each and every participant. Adult programs like Pickle Ball and basketball provided recreation, socialization and health benefits. Our Network Lunch and education series convened important community conversations with an intent of making our region a better place. And minority and female-owned businesses got a head start in our culinary incubator program.
But in the end, it’s not about numbers. It’s about people.
Meet Andrea, a 32-year-old mother of three, who left the only home she had known for 10 years in the middle of the night, fleeing from her abuser to the safety of our emergency shelter. Along with a warm place to stay for nearly two months, she found support, legal assistance, career counseling and household necessities. Today, she is on her own, living safely, happily and most importantly, away from the physical and emotional abuse she endured at the hands of her partner. Our work made a difference.
Cecelia, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, received a devastating diagnosis, learned only through a YWCA Women’s Cancer screening service. With our caseworkers, patient navigators and translators, she was able to understand her breast cancer diagnosis and chart a course of treatment. Today, the battle continues, but Cecilia is a warrior and we remain at her side with transportation to chemo treatments, grocery cards and continued emotional support. Our work is making a difference.
At only 12 years old, Ellice knew all too well about bullying. She was taller than most other girls her age and wasn’t the best athlete. Her glasses were thick and her family couldn’t afford the name-brand clothes that so often define life as a tween. She truly couldn’t find her “place.” Through a Y-Dance scholarship, she received acceptance and encouragement. The skills she learned, both on and off the dance floor, instilled a sense of accomplishment and confidence. Today, Ellice is a thriving, confident teenager who volunteers at her school to make sure everyone has a friend. Again, our work made a difference.
I hope these brief introductions inspire you to open up, to consider different ways of thinking and to believe in change and possibility for yourself and for our community. And I hope you understand what a beautiful difference you’ve made this year. You are changing lives in ways that words cannot fully express.
Your investment in YWCA Greater Lafayette helps to break down barriers and support women, children and families in our community. You support our core mission of eliminating racism and empowering women. You make a difference!
As we enjoy this holiday season, I hope you’ll continue to support our meaningful work through our annual end of year Holiday Drive to ensure we can provide thousands more nights of safe shelter, offer thousands more life-saving health screening services and empower and engage thousands more youth and adults. As a charitable 501(c)3 non-profit organization, your contributions to YWCA Greater Lafayette are tax deductible.
Please consider participating in one (or more!) of the following opportunities:
- Make a tax-deductible one-time, monthly, quarterly or annual gift to YWCA Greater Lafayette at any time by check, money order or electronic fund transfer.
- Consider becoming a sustaining partner of a program or initiative that aligns with your personal mission.
- Learn about donating appreciated stock and securities or planned giving opportunities by emailing Allison or by calling 765-423-7012.
Thank you in advance for your loyal support and for filling so many homes with hope during this special season. No matter how you celebrate, may your days be filled with family, friends and laughter and may your New Year be filled with opportunity and promise.
P.S. If you’re looking for a meaningful holiday gift, consider a donation dedicated to a special person in your life who cares about our mission. Simply mark your donation in honor of or as a tribute to and we will contact you to send a personalized dedication certificate. Order by December 14 to ensure receipt by the end of the year.